Preseason can be a bit of a bore. Thursday night brings a bunch of games, though, and that first full day of preseason action is usually a lot more exciting than that crappy Hall of Fame game. Tonight’s pairing of the New York Jets and Detroit Lions won’t be a stranger to that excitement, either, as there’s plenty of reason for you to tune in (if you’re able, that is). Let’s break down the six best reasons why:
1. It’s football, ya dummy. The NFL is back and you’re blowing it off like it’s the CFL? How. Dare. You.
2. The Beard lives on. Ryan Fitzpatrick is now the starter for Gang Green and it might be better than Geno Smith being the guy. That’s surely open for debate, but Fitzmagic starts tonight against the Lions, even though we probably can’t expect to see him in all of his glorious mediocrity for more than a few series.
3. Bryce Petty is a thing. While Fitzpatrick is surely going to hold down the fort until Geno Ball can come jawing back to life (ha!), the rookie out of Baylor should see a ton of action. Should he impress, perhaps the powers that be in New York just bypass both Geno and Fitz and start anew with Petty.
4. Ameer Abdullah. This dude was fun to watch at Nebraska and now he’s set for a huge role in a nice NFL offense. Joique Bell is banged up and shouldn’t be seen or heard in this game, so we could see a good amount of Abdullah. I’m also interested in seeing more of Theo Riddick and undrafted rookie Zach Zenner, but not as much as the elusive Abdullah.
5. Jets running backs. Chris Ivory looks like DA MAN, so he can safely play a series or two and bolt for the sidelines. It’s all about Zac Stacy and Bilal Powell tonight, who could be playing for top backup duties. Stevan Ridley’s corpse won’t be around for this one, as he’s still mending a knee injury.
6. Eric Ebron. I think I saved the best for last. Once compared to something that resembles Vernon Davis, Ebron is a size/speed/athleticism freak for the tight end position and could really do serious damage in Detroit’s offense. He’s had issues with drops and the mental side of the game, but maybe he turns a corner tonight.
7. DFS fantasy football preseason games. I snuck in an extra one! Oh, I got you good! Seriously, the NFL regular season can’t come soon enough. DFS preseason games are a thing and they really help the process out. It’s like drinking, but with football and money. It’s great, you should try it.